2 GB Database

Thu Aug 4 14:56:56 UTC 2005

> From: Horst Scheuermann

> my database had a size of 2^31-1 Bites. database becaim unavailable and
> dcc-server startet dbclean. Is there a way to work with greater databases?

That depends on the flavor of UNIX.  I saw DCC databases of more than
5 GBytes a couple years ago when I was having trouble convincing an
organization to run the cron script that runs dbclean.

Are you sure that your database became unavailable at 2^31-1 bytes?
Is it possible instead that dccd complained that the hash table
was filling up and so ran dbclean?

When dbclean runs, it esitmates the number of DCC checksums that
will be received before the next time it runs.  Using that guess,
it leaves room in the hash table.  If for some reason that guess
is wrong, dccd starts dbclean.

The bug in version 1.3.12 caused some public DCC servers to flood
reports of uninteresting checksums and increase the size of the
consensus database.