Can DCC block phishing e-mail?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jun 20 02:51:24 UTC 2005

We have a serious problem with phishing e-mail that purports to be
sent from financial institutions.  There's no way for ordinary users
to determine that the sender's e-mail address is a forgery.  Most
people don't know how to examine the headers and identify a funny SMTP
peer, or to examine the HTML source and identify a bogus `href' value.
I'm wondering if DCC can do some of this work?

Specifically, could the real organization's e-mail domain be related
to its outgoing SMTP server?  Using the current facilities, specifying
`ok2' with `substitute mail_host' and with `ip' might work to some
extent.  However, the two values are not tied to eachother.  Is there
a better way to do this?

I realize that what I'm asking is the subject of several so-called
sender authentication proposals, and that there are milters that
work for some of them.  I also realize that a great deal of dispute
and controversy surrounds those proposals.  I'm just wondering if
any of this could fit into DCC.