Private Server??

Ronan McGlue r.mcglue@qub.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 15:40:03 UTC 2005

Hi,
I have a question regarding the setup of a 'pseudo private' DCC server...

I work for Queens University Belfast and we use the UK JANET network for
our net connection...

I have asked my boss if i can set up a public DCC server here on campus
becuase it would be a good benefit to us.

Unfortunately because we use the janet network he wouldn't want us
providing a public service which could possibly be construed as
competition to the other ISPs who might charge someone for the service
of setting up the DCC Server... ( i think)
He wouldn't have  a problem if we were providing a service to the JANET
network however ( and if collaterally we were a public Flood server also
then so be it.... )

anyway its all politics to me and im jsut a lowly techie.. so!

Question
Can i set up restrictions on any DCC server I set up so that only
certain servers / networks can flood / update it...

Any users on this list know of any DCC servers on the JANET  or of any
users on the JANET that regularly hit the public DCCs???

thanks for any info i get back!

ronan

--
========