Using gzip vs. compress for dcc source

Sun Jun 5 21:11:04 UTC 2005

> From: <dcc@mikecappella.com>

> I'm sure you've already considered this, but can I suggest using gzip to
> compress the source archives vs. compress?  The savings are pretty
> substantial - using compress increases your source file size by about 52%.
>
> Compress:  1,307,125
> Gzip:             858,653
> Difference :     448,472

I think LZW is still a little more portable than gzip, not to mention
even tighter schemes.  For example, bzip2 compresses it to ~600K.

> ------=_NextPart_000_0004_01C569B1.D2E9C230

I also think that there are other places where far more bits can be
saved.  The rest of that redundant copy spent 3294 bytes.  It was sent
to all of subscribers of this mailing list.  It will also be fetched
from the archives by many HTTP clients.