1.3.5: continue not asking log msgs

Thu Jun 2 20:21:42 UTC 2005

> From: "Jeff A. Earickson"

> I upgraded from 1.3.4 to 1.3.5 yesterday and I'm noticing a lot
> more syslog messages of the type:
>
> dccifd[27191]: continue not asking DCC X seconds after failure
>
> where X is in the range of 10.  DCC is talking to spamassassin
> 3.0.3 from within MailScanner on Solaris 9.  "dccd info" output
> looks basically ok.  Anything I should worry about?

I doubt that "continue not asking" message has anything to do with
upgrading from 1.3.4 to 1.3.5.  It indicates that dccifd is having
persistent problems getting answers from any DCC servers and so has
stopped trying.  The DCC client code does an exponential backoff
of "continuing not asking" that starts at around 8 seconds and is
clamped at something like 256 seconds.

More likely causes include some sort of transient network problem.