man page question

Thu May 26 18:31:45 UTC 2005

> From: Alex S Moore

> How can I build the nroff formatted man pages for Solaris?

How does one build nroff input except with vi, emacs, or some other
editor?  I suppose that if one started with .info or some other
format one might generate nroff or troff input, but that's not nature
of the DCC man pages.

> I see the .8 files which have some formatting codes.  The codes do
> not look like nroff formatting codes to me, but I could certainly be
> wrong.  So I am missing what is needed to convert, for example
> dccifd.8, to something that would store in /usr/share/man/man8/dccifd.8.

The .8 files in the DCC source use BSD style -mman or -mdoc nroff macros.

> The pre-formatted pages are not desired.

I wonder if the real problem is not with dccifd.8 in the DCC
distribution but a missing copy of of something like
/usr/share/lib/tmac/tmac.man on your Solaris system.

Failing that, it might be effective to install groff.