hostname checksum illegal

John Doherty jdoherty@gstype.com
Thu May 19 20:03:15 UTC 2005

On 5/19/05 at 1:37 PM, vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com wrote:

>> May 10 12:55:11 is1 dccm[55813]: hostname checksum illegal in line
>> 5 of /var/dcc/userdirs/local/[REDACTED]/whiteclnt

>> There's nothing obviously different about that user's whiteclnt
>> compared to the others, at least not that I see. So what could make
>> it appear to be a global whitelist?

> Are there any symbolic links that would make the per-user directory
> /var/dcc/userdirs/local/[REDACTED]/ be the same as /var/dcc?

No, there aren't.

> Do /var/dcc/userdirs/local/[REDACTED]/whiteclnt.dccw and
> /var/dcc/whiteclnt.dccw have different i-numbers?

Yup:

  # ls -i /var/dcc/whiteclnt.dccw
  237997 /var/dcc/whiteclnt.dccw
  # ls -i /var/dcc/userdirs/local/[REDACTED]/whiteclnt.dccw
  411764 /var/dcc/userdirs/local/[REDACTED]/whiteclnt.dccw

> Per-user whitelists cannot contain host names, lest the locking and
> blocking in dealing with the DNS overwhelm a busy system.

I did not know that. All the entries in this whitelist were host names
and in fact, host names that also appear in /var/dcc/whiteclnt. Could
that be what makes it appear to be a global whitelist?

All other per-user whiteclnt files contain either env_from values or
ip values that are actually IP addresses, not host names.

So given that the entries in this whitelist are all in the global
whitelist, I emptied it. Seems like that's got to fix things up.

Thanks a lot.

-- John