1.3.3 compiling trouble

Wed Apr 27 18:59:40 UTC 2005

> From: Pavel Urban

> My servers have 3GB RAM, so it should be OK. We're planning to create
> public dcc servers along with public ClamAV already present, so these
> servers have some extra power.

By "public DCC servers" do you mean servers that would join the
couple dozen public DCC servers answering requests from the 40,000
(or perhaps a lot more) anonymous DCC clients?  More public DCC servers
would be welcome in the list in
http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/#public-servers
ost of the more than 250 DCC servers are private and used only by their
owner's DCC clients.

There are is a little more work required of the public DCC servers
including keeping the version of the DCC code they use more up to date
and running the cron scripts that generate lists of major or abusive
DCC clients and coordinate the blacklist of abusive clients.

> I'd like to have configuration files in /etc, but if these settings mean
> that database files will be placed there too... well, I'll probably
> reconsider. Is it possible to have configuration and database files
> separated?

It's just code, it is certainly possible in theory.  However, it
would be a major hassle to separate the dccd database files from
the configuration files.  Some of the files including /var/dcc/map
/var/dcc/flod.map, and the client whitelist .dccw hash files need to
be written the DCC programs and so are not exactly configuration files.
They generally built from read-only configuration files such
as /var/dcc/flod, but those files are locked and so opened for writing
by the programs that build the first set such as /var/dcc/flod.map.