dccifd stabilty issues with 1.2.74

Kelsey Cummings kgc@sonic.net
Mon Mar 28 21:49:35 UTC 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 01:46:02PM -0700, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Cami
>
> > Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>
> > > Basically, the problem is that dccifd just disapears.  No log messages and
> > > no core so it's really hard to even start troubleshooting the problem.
> > > It's happening across four servers running dccd and dccifd - each on
> > > processes about 100 messages/minute.  The process will survive for a
> > > seemingly random period of time - generally on the order of hours.  Since I
> > > upgraded on Friday I've seen around 5 crashes between the 4 servers.
>
> > Confirmed, same setup (dccd/dccifd). I have 12 machines and all are
> > doing exactly the same thing. (The process randomly terminates/crashes).
> > I didnt bother mentioning it as i thought i was the only one having
> > this problem.
>
> Are you seeing the start-up messages from dccifd?  If not, perhaps
> dccifd is complaining in which log those are being sent.

Yes, the startup logs are been recorded.

> Is the DCC home directory writable by the user running dccifd?

Yes.

> If you try to force a core dump with something like `kill -10` or
> `kill -3`, does a core file appear?

kill -3 results in the process disappearing, no core can be found.  kill -10
doesn't seem to do anything.  This is on linux, fyi.

> Are you using the new DNS blacklist mechanism?

No.

> Does addin "-Bset_debug -Bset_debug -Bset_debug -ddd"
> to DCCIFD_ARGS /var/dcc/dcc_conf produce any interesting messages?

Nothing yet, but I'll leave one of my servers running this way to see if
anything interesting is logged with a crash.

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc@sonic.net           sonic.net, inc.
System Administrator                      2260 Apollo Way