pending license change

David Sparks daves@activestate.com
Fri Mar 18 01:10:07 UTC 2005

Vernon Schryver wrote:
> On Monday, March 21, I plan to change the LICENSE file to contain the
> enclosed and to make matching changes to the many individual files.

Quite refreshing to see such a short license!  If you have a moment,
could you clarify a couple of points please?

The license excludes any commercial anti-spam solution providers.  Going
forward, what do you expect these entities to do?

The license is not retro-active so I assume that older versions will
remain free.  Do you expect that Commtouch will use Patent 6,330,590
against commercial anti-spam companies that are using older versions of DCC?

We participate in a "private network" (it was posted on the DCC Server
list some time ago) with other companies where signatures are only fed
from spamtraps.  This is useful in certain tests where "bulkiness" is
not suitable as opposed to "spammyness".  Other companies are welcome to
participate in sharing this data, but the signatures need to come only
from approved spamtraps.  Is it your intention that networks like this
get shut down?

Thanks,

ds

> Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com
>

>  * Distributed Checksum Clearinghouse
>  *
>  * Copyright (c) 2005 by Rhyolite Software
>  *
>  * This agreement is not applicable to any entity which sells anti-spam
>  * solutions to others or provides an anti-spam solution as part of a
>  * security solution sold to other entities, or to a private network
>  * which employes DCC or uses data provided by operation of DCC but does
>  * not provide corresponding data to other users.
>  *
>  * Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for any
>  * purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above
>  * copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
>  *
>  * THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND RHYOLITE SOFTWARE DISCLAIMS ALL
>  * WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES
>  * OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL RHYOLITE SOFTWARE
>  * BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES
>  * OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
>  * WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION,
>  * ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS
>  * SOFTWARE.
>

>  * Some parts including dcclib/getopt.c
>  * Copyright (c) 1987, 1993, 1994
>  *	The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>
>  * Some other parts including dcclib/inet_ntop.c
>  * Copyright (c) 1996-1999 by Internet Software Consortium.

/\                        - against Lotus Notes