dccifd vs. postfix

Mon Mar 7 14:50:17 UTC 2005

> From: Leandro Santi

> > Would it be useful if dccifd could use a small subset of SMTP
> > consisting of the MAIL_FROM, RCPT_TO, and DATA commands to
> > reject or accept and pass on mail messages?  The idea is that
> > might make it easy (or easier) to wire dccifd into postfix.
>
> How would you do the wiring?

as implied in
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

> Perhaps a better solution would make use of dccifd on the DCC side, and
> SMTP/LMTP on the other, for both real time and content_filter message
> inspection. For DCC greylisting, Postfix's policy delegation protocol
> seems okay.

I get the impression from
http://www.postfix.org/lmtp.8.html
that Postfix uses LTMP only for "After-Queue" filters.
If that is correct, then its use would preclude greylisting.

Besides the difficulties of parsing Rcpt_To commands enough to recognize
local users including recognizing all of the SMTP server's aliases for
its own name,
I'm concerned about the dialect of SMTP that Postfix uses for
"Before-Queue" filters.  I've found references to "XCLIENT" as well
as "XFORWARD" commands for what I understand to be the same function.