dcc-dccd-1.2.71 make fail with a "Undefined symbol: _res_9_init"

Mon Mar 7 13:57:05 UTC 2005

> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=EBl_Brogniart?= <Joel.Brogniart@univ-lyon2.fr>

> > ld: Undefined symbols:
> > _res_9_init

> It seem that this code should be linked against resolv library and
> 	cc   dccproc.o ../dcclib/libdcc.a  -lm -lresolv -o dccproc
> doesn't fail.

Thank you.

Either
    setenv LIBS -lresolv
    ./configure
or
    /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc -e LIBS=-lresolv
should fix that problem.

There is also a hidden ./configure switch to turn off the threading
in the new DNS blacklist code on systems where the resolver library
is hopelessly unusual.  Please let me know if that is needed.  I hope
it is only temporary paranoia that can be removed.

For version 1.2.72 of the DCC source, I will change the ./configure
script to add -lresolv to $LIBS for Darwin.

For this case, I would like to understand why the ./configure script
did not discover that res_init() is not available.  Does the Mac OS X
libc have a stubb for res_init() that calls res_9_init()?

Thank you again for reporting as well as diagnosing the problem.