dccifd vs. postfix

Tod D. Ihde toon@warmerbythelake.com
Sun Mar 6 16:04:31 UTC 2005

Vernon Schryver wrote:

>Would it be useful if dccifd could use a small subset of SMTP
>consisting of the MAIL_FROM, RCPT_TO, and DATA commands to
>reject or accept and pass on mail messages?  The idea is that
>might make it easy (or easier) to wire dccifd into postfix.
>
>If so, does someone have a postfix installation that could test
>such a beast?
>

>Vernon Schryver    vjs@rhyolite.com

Vernon,

 What would be obscenely useful is if dccifd could speak to postfix as a
content filter.

http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html explains how
Postfix deal with content filtering. I'm a big fan of external,
medium-weight, real-time, even though Mr. Venema cautions against it,
simply because I can refuse the transaction without queuing the message
(even though you have to get the whole message to do a checksumming, I
know). YMMV.

If you did implement this, I'd be one of the first to switch to it. I'm
currently using dcc out of procmail, which I hate, as it doesn't
interface with my vdomain setup; only local users get the benefit of dcc...

 Tod.