AW: kern.openfiles limit on FreeBSD

Thu Feb 3 16:09:07 UTC 2005

> From: "Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR" <lbolmerg@munichre.com>

> Strange enough fstat does not show a large amount of open files for
> dccifd

Which suggests that something else such as SpamAssassin is holding
open the files.

> > It is usually best to use dccm with sendmail and so reject spam during
> the SMTP transaction than to use
> > SpamAssassin with dccifd to discard or categorize spam after having
> received it.

> You may be right, at least it is a point for discussion, but it won't
> solve my problem here

What if you either

  - turn off dccifd for SpamAssassin and use sendmail+dccm for
       DCC filtering including rejecting unsolicited bulk mail
or
  - turn off dccifd for SpamAssassin, use sendmail+dccm to add X-DCC
       headers to mail, and configure SpamAssassin to look for
       X-DCC.*bulk headers

Either of those would be far more efficient than having SpamAssassin
ask dccifd about mail.

However, if the problem is as you suggest and related to libc_r and
kqueue, then that would not affect the problem.

] From: "Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR" <lbolmerg@munichre.com>

] A pstat -f shows a lot ( >1000) of entries like
]
] c2dd7440 kqueue   RW   1   0 c2cef280                0
]
] before the problems occur.
]
] I found an open PR for FreeBSD 5.3 that might be related to my problem.
] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=threads/75795
]
] Vernon, do you think DCC is affected by the FreeBSD problem?  dccifd and
] dccm are both linked with libc_r.

Neither dccifd nor dccm use kqueue directly.  Unless something inside
the FreeBSD POSIX thread library uses it, that FreeBSD 5.3 bug seems
unrelated.

On the other hand, if the only thing changed was the installation of
FreeBSD 5.3, then the problem could be in the 5.3 kernel.  The patch
in that FreeBSD bug report looks easy to apply.  Have you tried adding
it to sys/kern/kern_event.c and rebuilding your kernel?