kern.openfiles limit on FreeBSD

Wed Feb 2 18:28:04 UTC 2005

> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 16:41 +0100, Bolmerg-Berliner Ludger - Munich-MR
> wrote:

> When I stop the sendmail process kern.openfiles does not decrease.  But
> restarting dccifd will decrease the value from >4000 to something like
> 300

The command `fstat -p X` where X is the PID of the dccifd daemon might
be illuminating.

How is dccifd involved?  Via SpamAssassin?  Could the problem be that
SpamAssassin is not closing connections to dccifd?  I use dccifd for
a little traffic and see no signs of a file descriptor leak.

It is usually best to use dccm with sendmail and so reject spam during
the SMTP transaction than to use SpamAssassin with dccifd to discard
or categorize spam after having received it.

Judging from some exeriments, many spammers are aggressively pruning
their lists of (apparently) non-deliverable addresses.  The more mail
your system rejects, they'll leave it alone.