Greylisting reject code 452

Sat Jan 22 15:31:34 UTC 2005

> From: "Paul R. Ganci"

> I noticed that the returned DCC greylisting error code is 452. According
> to what I have been reading recently there are many more greylist broken
> MTAs out there than if code 451 were chosen. So my questions are why was
> code 452 choosen and can I change it to 451 to see if it works better
> (in the sense of not needing as large a whitelist)?

I chose 452 for dccm's greylisting because it seemed least permanent.

When dccifd is used instead of dccm, the MTA is responsible for doing
whatever it wants when it is told that dccifd thinks the message should
be greylisted.

You can change the dccm greylist response to whatever you want
by adding two -r settings to DCCM_ARGS in /var/dcc/dcc_conf.
The default is equivalent to

    DCCM_ARGS="'-r5.7.1 550 mail %s from %s rejected by DCC' '-rmail %s from %s temporary greylist embargoed'"

See the discussion of -r in the dccm man page.

When setting -r in DCCM_ARGS, beware of brain damaged quoted string
handling in some Linux versions if /bin/sh (Bash).