DCC version 1.2.64

Thu Dec 16 19:07:09 UTC 2004

> From: "Jeff A. Earickson"

>     These two URLs download a file called "dccd.tar.tar" which is
> actually a gzipped tarfile.  It would be nice if the file were
> called "dcc-dccd-1.2.64.tar.gz" instead, to match the directory
> name of dcc-dccd-1.2.64.  Thanks.

> > http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/source/dccd.tar.Z  and
> > http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/source/dccd.tar.Z

Looking at the directories in http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/source/
and http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/source/ finds files named
dccd.tar.Z.  They are symbolic links to dcc-dccd.tar.Z, which in turn
are currently symbolic links to dcc-dccd-1.2.64.tar.Z.  I don't think
that symbolic link stuff is visible to HTTP clients.

The FreeBSD `file` command says:
    dccd.tar.Z: symbolic link to dcc-dccd.tar.Z
    dcc-dccd.tar.Z: symbolic link to dcc-dccd-1.2.64.tar.Z
    dcc-dccd-1.2.64.tar.Z: compress'd data 16 bits

That is LZW compression as suggested by .Z instead of the LZ77
compression used by gzip and suggested by .gz.

Perhaps the .mime.types file or other type translation mechanism
used by your HTTP client is being too smart by half.