Must be root to create RPM???

Sun Nov 7 00:37:17 UTC 2004

> From: Thomas Cameron

> I am trying to create a DCC RPM for Fedora Core 3.  I notice that if I
> try to create the package as a user it fails.  It seems that the
> installer changes ownership of some of the files to root:bin or bin:bin.
>
> Anyone have any pointers as to how to build an RPM as non-root?  It is
> considered a Bad Thing(TM) to build packages as root.

See what the installation instructions in INSTALL.html or INSTALL.txt
in the tarball or http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/INSTALL.html
have to say about the build/installatin environment variables
DCC_SUID, DCC_OWN, DCC_GRP, DCC_MODE, MANOWN, and MANGRP

See also the `./configure ---disable-sys-inst` option.

I suspect you also overlooked the
    ./configure --homedir=HOMEDIR --with-installroot=DIR
options.