dccproc eating up 98% of the CPU

Sat Oct 2 01:27:12 UTC 2004

> From: Ruben Safir Secretary NYLXS

> >>   - What is the result of `cdcc info`?
>
> Only works for root

then something is broken.
  - did you use `make install`?
  - is /var/dcc/map owned by the same UID to which cdcc is set-UID?

> www2:/home/ruben # su -     www2:~ # cdcc info
> # 10/01/04 17:59:27 EDT  /var/dcc/map
> # Re-resolve names after 19:58:35  # 12 total, 0 working servers
> IPv6 off
>
> dcc1.dcc-servers.net,-      anon
> #   142.27.70.214,-                                 #      not answering

Those consistent "not answering" results imply that you have some
kind of firewall that is blocking UDP port 6277.
See http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/firewall.html

> >>   - What is the result of `dccproc -i msg-file
>
> www2:~ # dccproc -i msg-file
> bad input file "msg-file": No such file or directory; fatal error

Please read what the `man dccproc` command should produce on your system,
or http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/dcc-tree/dccproc.html
or http://www.dcc-servers.net/dcc/dcc-tree/dccproc.html

I meant "msg-file" to be the name of a file containing a mail message.
As usual, the first lines before a blank line should be the RFC-2822
headers.  The rest of the file should be the body of the message.

Are there any complaints from dccproc in your system log?
That might be /var/log/maillog  /var/log/messages or some other
file depending on how you have configured syslogd on your system.