Dcc Clients and private DCC servers

Tue Sep 14 17:36:35 UTC 2004

> From: "Sneak" <sneak@ipnoc.co.za>

> I'm trying to add an entry to /var/dcc/map, so one of my DCC clients will
> query my local DCC Server
> with the following command:
> ----
> cdcc "add dcc1.myserver,- RTT-1000  101 mypass"
> ---
>
> but I get the following error:
> ---
> server-ID 101 is not a client-ID

101 is server-ID, and of a DCC server that that your DCC client
should not be using.

As the sample /var/dcc/ids file says, DCC client-IDs start at 32768.
See http://www.rhyolite.com/anti-spam/dcc/homedir/ids

After you ran `make install`, you had /var/dcc/id, /var/dcc/map.txt and
/var/dcc/map files that contained a definition of client-ID 32768
including a locally generated, reasonably unpredictable password.

> Another question I have for when I have resolved this problem, is should I
> remove the public DCC servers from my map file so
> only my private dcc is used?

That is not necessary if you ensure that your DCC clients use your DCC
server by running something like the following command on your DCC clients:

    cdcc "add dcc1.myserver,- RTT-1000  32768 mypass"

The "RTT-1000" biases your client's selection of DCC servers toward
dcc1.myserver by 1000 milliseconds

> ------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C49A8C.81690960

Please recall that the web page used to subscribe to this mailing list
included the warning:

     HTML email is rejected because it is unreadable in the archive

I should probably stop manually overriding those rejections by
the Mailman software.