Problem with whitelists

Sneak sneak@ipnoc.co.za
Tue Sep 7 15:40:03 UTC 2004

The below ive listed in /var/dcc/whitelist

I'll try moving it to /var/dcc/whiteclnt, do I need to reload DCCM when
modifying this file?

So if im using a public DCC server does the stats graphs apply to how much
mail has been stopped on my mail server?

-----Original Message-----
From: dcc-admin@rhyolite.com [mailto:dcc-admin@rhyolite.com] On Behalf Of
Vernon Schryver
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 5:00 PM
To: dcc@rhyolite.com
Subject: Re: Problem with whitelists

> From: "Sneak" <sneak@ipnoc.co.za>

> I'm trying to white list a group of servers which I'm having trouble
> receiving legitimate email from.
>
> I've tried adding the following with little success..
>
> ok      substitute      mail_host               isfax-mail-rba.is.co.za
> ok      substitute      mail_host               isfax-mail-bry.is.co.za
> ok      substitute      mail_host               isfax-filter-bry.is.co.za.
>
> note this is my startup string for DCCM : -SHELO -Smail_host -SSender
> -SList-ID

Are those lines in /var/dcc/whiteclnt?

Is that file writable by the dccm process, including not locked by an editor
such as `vi`?

Are there any complaints about the contents of /var/dcc/whiteclnt from dccm
in your system log?

What are the contents of /var/dcc/log files containing mail that was
rejected but should have been accepted?  Dccm always says why it doesn't
like a message in the log files it creates.

One way to debug a DCC client whitelist is to feed mail messages to `dccproc
-w whiteclnt -l /tmp -E -S ...`

> another question, how do I go about getting a client-ID? I would like
> to graph my stats?
> is this possible?

Client-IDs are assigned by DCC server owners for their own DCC clients.
If your mail system handles more than 100,000 mail messages per day, then
you should have your own DCC server and assign your own client-IDs.
If your mail system handles fewer mail messages, you should probably use the
public DCC servers.

Please do not send HTML encoded messages to this mailing list.
I don't think much of sending both cleartext and HTML in any case, but
perhaps I'm a radical reactionary.