missing message body error

John Scully jscully@isupportisp.com
Wed Aug 25 15:25:20 UTC 2004

I found the cause - a really talented spammer with software that caused
empty messages with invalid message IDs.  No subject, no body at all.  Every
message was 100 to 120 bytes long and ended after three chards of the
message ID.

I think the actual message was received by sendmail, but an invalid char in
the messageID may be causing mimedefang or sendmail to truncate the message
at that point, but since sendmail thinks it was a valid message it gets
processed.

Spamassassin complained about the missing body, but did score the headers (a
score of 17 just from the headers!).  DCCIFD crashed hard with the missing
body message.

I added code to my filter to discard the message if there is not body and an
invalid messageid.  That stopped the issue with dcc, but there is still a
bug there to be corrected.  It should gracefully handle an empty message.

I have sample messages if anyone needs them for testing.

John Scully
-----Original Message-----
From: Billy Ray Miller [mailto:Miller_Billy_Ray@cat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 7:11 AM
To: jscully@isupportisp.com
Subject: Re: missing message body error

> When I use dccproc everything is fine, but if I use dccifd about 1% of
> messages get that missing body error, which then seems to lock up dccifd
for
> 8-10 seconds.

This sounds very similar to something I ran in to earlier this year (but I
don't recall having the dccifd delays for 8-10 seconds).  You might want to
check out Bug #3017 in SpamAssassin's Bugzilla
(http://bugzilla.spamassassin.org) - it may be able to give you a few more
clues about the issue.

Billy