ddcifd stability problems?

Lonnie Olson fungus@aros.net
Fri Aug 13 19:35:39 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 11:39 -0700, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
> I recently upgraded my SpamAssassin install to use the dccifd interface
> instead of forkind dccproc for every message processed.  It works great
> when it works but I've found that dccifd mesteriously dies -- no log
> messages, nothing.  It is not common, perhaps once a week on one of my four
> servers but it still a drag.  The servers are doing about 100k messages a
> day each.
>
> It's dcc version 1.2.50 running on RedHat 7.3 compiled with
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-113)
>
> Has anyone else seen any problems?  Maybe a compiler bug?  (I know 7.3's
> gcc has some bugs but being affected by them seems rather rare.)

I also recently switched to dccifd and see the very same problem.  When
dccifd dies it will usually leave the stale socket in /var/dcc/dccifd
which causes SpamAssassin to complain.  I usually just start it back up
and it runs for another week or so.  It always dies at random times, so
I can't get any info as to what caused it to happen.  And nothing in the
logs indicate anything right before SA starts complaining.

An interesting point is that this only occurs on 2 of the 6 servers it
runs on.  Next time it happens I will try to post some log entries.

My specifics.
dcc 1.2.49 running on FreeBSD 4.9 compiled with gcc version 2.95.4
20020320 [FreeBSD]
SA is verison 2.63 installed from ports.

--lonnie