Integration with SA 2.63

Wed Aug 4 17:25:23 UTC 2004

> From: Sven Willenberger

> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 11:29 -0400, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> > Is there a way I can have my own local dcc server? I was thinking of
> > rsync with the public dcc servers and then use may be rbldnsd to lookup
> > against the local copy. Not sure if I make sense.

> based on Vernon's last response it looks like you are just at the
> threshhold (100k+) of it being worthwhile to run your own dcc server.

Minimal DCC server databases with default expiration durations are
approaching 1 GByte.  Daily rsync copies of a GByte would be painful
than the DCC "flooding" mechanism that sends 100-200 MBytes of new
reports of bulk mail throughout the day.  An additional problem would
be what to do while the database is being copied.  Then there would
be the hassle of the GByte burp for the other end of that `rsync`
transfer.  And then there would be platform dependencies; you can't
necessarily simply copy a DCC database from one platform to another.

I've noticed that most people who say that their mail systems handle
X mail messages/day, when their DCC servers go into production, they
see only 0.5*X mail messages/day or fewer.  I've speculate that is
partly due to counting mail messages versus targets of mail messages.
If that rule of thumb turned out to be true in this case, significantly
less bandwidth would be used with the public servers than with a local
server.

I notice DCC clients that make more than 100,000 requests/day of the
public servers, and send invitations to run private servers.