SPF

Spike Ilacqua spike@indra.com
Sat Jul 24 00:43:43 UTC 2004

I'm not a huge fan of SPF, as an ISP I see what a pain it will be.
People like sending work mail from home, and home mail from work and
they are not going to be happy when that stops working.  And given how
much spam comes from compromised computers which will have legit SPF
records, it's value is unclear.   And not to mention these are the
spammers that have pretty much beaten everything that's been thrown in
there way, including tricky things like Bayesian filters.

Despite this, Microsoft has announce that Hotmail, MSN, etc will start
enforcing SPF on October 1st, so it's about to become all of the rage.
So that might make it a useful tool with greylisting.  In the case where
the SPF information can be confirmed, greylisting could be (optionally)
skipped.

There are two SPF libraries available:

http://www.libspf.org/
http://libspf2.org/

So some of the leg work is already done...

Thoughts?

->Spike