DCC on FreeBSD

Sven Willenberger sven@dmv.com
Fri Jul 23 14:39:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 09:40 -0400, Daniel V Klein wrote:
> I have been running DCC on BSDi for a while, and am converting to FreeBSD.
> I am currently have FreeBSD-4.10 installed, and also installed the packages
> for mail/sendmail-sasl and mail/dcc-dccd.
>
> Everything appears to compile/install fine (except that I needed to manually
> install dcc.m4 and dccdnsbl.m4).  However, dccm does not appear to be working.
>
> It runs, it accumulates a (small amount) of CPU time, but it does not insert
> any DCC headers nor is anything logged in the log directory.  I have checked
> my sendmail.cf file, and yes, there is mention of dcc in reasonable places.
> When I start dccm, it logs a single entry into /var/log/maillog:
> 	1.2.48 listening to /var/run/dcc/dccm with /var/dcc
> and that file is what sendmail.cf has specified (of course, I specified
> FEATURE(`dcc') in sendmail.mc).
>
> Some oddities:
> 	1) There is a /var/dcc and a /usr/local/dcc after the package is
> installed.  Which should I use?  (I configured both, and started dccm from
> /var/dcc).
> 	2) "cdcc rtt" reports a lot of machines down, but there are some that
> are up, so my firewall is not in the way...
> 	3) The package installs into /usr/local/sbin/sendmail, but I still
> have a /usr/sbin/sendmail of a different vintage - any suggestions?
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem?  Has anyone installed from just the
> packages?  Clearly I can try to install DCC manually, but it seems better to
> use the package interface...
>
> -Dan

If you install from ports, dcc will install in /usr/local/dcc (if memory
serves). I have always installed from source because a) things like
mimedefang/spamassassin expect to find the dcc stuff in /var/dcc and b)
dcc comes with an updater (/var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc) which makes
keeping dcc current a breeze. If you have installed sendmail from ports
(which it appears you have) make sure you have run make mailer.conf from
within the /usr/ports/mail/sendmail directory. Also, you will need to
put the dcc.m4 in your /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf/feature directory
(not the /usr/share/sendmail/cf/feature). Also, in the /etc/mail
directory, check the Makefile and make sure that SENDMAIL_CF_DIR is
defined as /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf.

With all that in place you should have a working dcc install.

Sven