Can DCC identify attachment types?

Gary Mills mills@cc.umanitoba.ca
Thu Jul 22 21:25:39 UTC 2004

Our main e-mail server runs sendmail with two milters.  The first is
dccm, with bulk mail rejection and whitelisting.  The second is the
Trend Micro virus scanner.  This configuration works very nicely, and
is greatly appreciated by our e-mail users.  I'd like to enhance this
system by having sendmail reject or delete e-mail containing certain
MIME attachment types, for example Windows EXE and PIF files.  Even
though both of these filters do MIME parsing, neither of them can do
anything like that according to file type.

Could DCC be extended to know about safe and unsafe attachment types,
and deal with them appropriately?  Alternatively, is there another
milter that can do this?  It needs to be multi-threaded, like the other
two, rather than multi-process.  Our mail server regularly has over
500 simultaneous SMTP sessions running.  500 copies of perl would not
be a good idea.