FW: continue not asking DCC 8 seconds

Mon Jul 19 19:41:46 UTC 2004

> From: jim@carroll.com

> I believe I had some "stale" entries left in my map file.  When I checked
> the map, it had the default entries that shipped with dcc, rather than the
> actual entries specified in my map.txt file.

The map.txt file is merely an ASCII archive of the real /var/dcc/map
file.  It is no more than the result of

    cdcc info > map.txt

map.txt can be used to restore /var/dcc/map by `cdcc "load map.txt"`

In your position, I would arrange to have map files on all of my DCC
clients contain:

    yourserver.com    RTT-1000 ms   client-ID passwd
    dcc1.dcc-servers.net
    dcc2.dcc-servers.net
    dcc3.dcc-servers.net
    dcc4.dcc-servers.net
    dcc5.dcc-servers.net

The RTT bias in the first line ensures that your DCC clients prefer
your server.   The client-ID and password exempt your DCC clients
from the `dccd -u` delay imposed on anonymous clients.

> Is suspect that after the last upgrade, the install process installed the
> default map database and that I missed the disconnect.

The Makefiles I ship install /var/dcc/map from the map.txt file
generated from the shipped map.txt file only if /var/dcc/map does
not already exist.  Otherwise, they would break too many installations.