FW: continue not asking DCC 8 seconds

Mon Jul 19 15:42:27 UTC 2004

> From: jim@carroll.com

> The version of DCCD we are running is 1.2.39

The current version is 1.2.50.

> We have DCCD and DCCM running on the same system.  We are receiving a
> large number of these messages in our log files:
>
> 	continue not asking DCC 8 seconds

Those messages from the DCC client library code say that the DCC server
apparently failed to respond more than once, and so the client code
has started exponetially increasing periods of not asking the DCC
server at all.

> In the past 40-minutes, we have over 100 instances of these messages.
> There do not appear to be any wait periods larger than 8-seconds in the
> logs.

That suggests that the hiccups are no longer than 4 seconds.

> I suspect the message is suggesting we're running out of horsepower
> somewhere, but I'm at a loss to determine where.  Any help, pointers, or

While these messages are happening, what does `cdcc info` say about
RTTs (round trip times) to DCC servers?

Do you get the same results from `cdcc info` from other computers?

Are there any complaints in the system log on your DCC server from
dccd about too many requests/second from your DCC client?  In other
words, is your DCC client hitting the dccd DoS defense rate limits?