two instances of dccm

Juergen Georgi georgi@belwue.de
Tue Jul 6 12:04:38 UTC 2004

On Mon 2004-07-05 (06:30), Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > We would need something like "domaindirs", which allow for per-domain
> > whiteclnt files. But dccm doesn't offer such feature (yet?).
>
> The sendmail.cf macro ${dcc_userdir} provides that feature.
> See the dccm man page.

Right - I didn't consider this option.

> > What happens if a message has more than one destination
> > address with conflicting greylist settings? sendmail
> > can only reject or accept the whole message.
>
> Yes, you are right about that.  If any recipient of a message wants
> greylisting, the entire message must be greylisted.  I do not understand
> how running two dccm daemons would help that issue.

By using different MX targets I force the SMTP client to split
the envelope. Instead of having

example1.com	MX 10	mx.isp.com
example2.com	MX 10	mx.isp.com

I define

example1.com    MX 10   mx1.isp.com	; with greylisting
example2.com    MX 10   mx2.isp.com	; no greylisting

where mx1.isp.com and mx2.isp.com are actually two different service
ip addresses on the same physical machine. sendmail listens on
both ip addresses, but each sendmail daemon talks to different
milters - the two dccm instances I was talking about. As I said,
I use the new milter-per-daemon feature, introduced in 8.13.0
(_FFR_MILTER_PERDAEMON in 8.12).

But your hint about ${dcc_userdir} made me think about a different
approach. In ruleset check_relay I can set ${dcc_userdir} to the
sendmail macro ${if_addr}:

LOCAL_RULESETS
SLocal_check_relay
R$*     $: $(macro {dcc_userdir} $@ $&{if_addr} $) $1

This way I get per-daemon userdirs, where I can define my different
greylist settings. And I only need to run a single dccm.

Since ${if_addr} is available to dccm any time, how about a new
whiteclnt entry type? E.g.

ok		if_addr		123.231.132.213
greylist-off	if_addr		123.231.132.212

Apologies for the long posting.