looking for more whitelist entries

Sat Jun 19 03:07:44 UTC 2004

> From: David Sparks

> I'm looking for additions to the DCC server and client whitelists above
> what comes in whitecommon.

You really want to keep such whitelists in DCC clients or greylist
servers.  The straight DCC server whitelist was a bad idea based my
very shallow thinking.

> What I'm looking for is entries for newsletters and large volume emails
> that end up getting marked as bulk.
>
> I've done some searching and didn't find anything specific to additional
> entries to the whitelists other than a webpage with checksums of empty
> messages.  If you know of any other resources in this area please let me
> know.
>
> If you're willing to share please send me your whitelist entries.  If
> there is interest I'll send the compiled list back to this ML.

There's nothing wrong with that, except that I fear that it is hopeless.

One person's interesting and purely solicited newsletter becomes another
person's very obnoxious spam after a "courtesy subscription."

Another reason is that I suspect that there a million legitimate
newsletters and other streams of ordinary mail involving than 100
recipients each.

A third, paradoxial problem is that the most popular and most obviously
bulk streams of legitimate mail are least likely to appear to be bulk
to the DCC.  A mailing list with 1,000,000 subscribers will have low
DCC counts if most DCC clients whitelist it.  Common or popular whitelist
entries are the entries you need least.

Please don't misunderstand me as saying you shouldn't try.
The worst likely concrete problems are disagreements about the
legitimacy of individuals streams of bulk mail.