dccifd 1.2.49 dying, any help?

Sat Jun 12 19:47:23 UTC 2004

> From: Henrik Edlund

> > Why not start dccifd by setting DCCIFD_ENABLE=on in /var/dcc/dcc_conf
> > and using the /var/dcc/libexec/start-dccifd script in the DCC tarball?
>
> Control. I prefer starting my binaries in my way, not through some
> fancy-smancy trying-to-be-smart script.

It seems odd to trust your mail to my C programs but not trust my
Bourne shell scripts to start those programs.

The only fanciness in start-dccifd is to shut down an existing instance
of the daemon and to get parameters from dcc_conf.  Given the nature
of UNIX domain sockets, you must stop it before restarting it.
I should probably have made the DCC programs parse something like
dcc_conf, but I thought I could get away with argv parameters.  dcc_conf
didn't appear until after the first year.  Dcc_conf exists mostly
because I found people don't read man pages or at least don't care
to start programs with all of the needed parameters.

> > Even better, why not follow the DCC installation instructions and put a
> > symbolic link from /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/K31DCC rc.d/rc1.d/K31DCC
> > rc.d/rc2.d/S80DCC rc.d/rc3.d/S80DCC rc.d/rc4.d/S80DCC rc.d/rc5.d/S80DCC
> > and rc.d/rc6.d/K31DCC to /var/dcc/libexec/rcDCC
>
> That would imply I was running a SysV system would it? I have no
> rc\d.d/{K,S} around here, thank you... :)

 From your strace output, I inferred that you are running Linux.
I think those symbolic links are appropriate for some flavors of Linux
more than for the last SysV-like systems I've looked at, assuming you
don't count Solaris.  rcDCC also works on Solaris, FreeBSD, BSD/OS,
NetBSD, and other UNIX variants.

Local control is another argument against "RPMs", "packages," "ports,"
and so forth.  Such installation mechanisms make decisions about where
things should go that some people will consider wrong.