dccifd.core at first unix-soket-connection ?

John Doherty jdoherty@gstype.com
Sat Jun 12 03:52:15 UTC 2004

On Friday 11 June 2004 08:58 pm, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Sven Willenberger
> >
> > > I'm not sure what that is, exactly: on my FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, and
> > > 4.9 machines, DCC isn't even in the ports collection. I know it
> > > was at one time, because that's where I first ran across it. It
> > > wouldn't be surprising if whatever you're using is out of date
> > > by quite a while.
>
> I don't think there has ever been DCC code on the FreeBSD CDROMs,
> but people I don't know have been making packages or ports.

Unsurprisingly, you're correct, and I was misremembering a little. The
first place I ran across DCC was a set of unofficial FreeBSD 4.9 CDs
that I bought from CheapBytes, not any of the official CD sets that I
have.

However it is that it got there, I'm glad it did. I was browsing those
CDs specifically looking for anti-spam software, and a lot of it
didn't seem that much to my liking. But when I started reading the
dcc man page, I immediately thought, "Wow, now _this_ sounds pretty
good," and I've been using it quite happily since shortly thereafter.

> I considered making a "port" or "package."  One problem is that a
> FreeBSD port or package is useless on Linux.   A Linux RPM is
> useless on Solaris.  And so forth for IRIX, Cygwin, HPUX, NetBSD,
> etc.

And for software that builds as cleanly straight from the tarball as
the DCC, those formats offer little or no practical advantage anyway.

FWIW, for anyone trying to get started, what I'd suggest is: (1) get
the real tarball and install from that, and (2) use updatedcc to keep
it reasonably up to date. This will work out fine, and any packaging
system the platform may have really wouldn't be any easier.