dccifd.core at first unix-soket-connection ?

Sat Jun 12 01:58:16 UTC 2004

> From: Sven Willenberger

> > I'm not sure what that is, exactly: on my FreeBSD 4.7, 4.8, and
> > 4.9 machines, DCC isn't even in the ports collection. I know it
> > was at one time, because that's where I first ran across it. It
> > wouldn't be surprising if whatever you're using is out of date
> > by quite a while.

I don't think there has ever been DCC code on the FreeBSD CDROMs,
but people I don't know have been making packages or ports.

I considered making a "port" or "package."  One problem is that a
FreeBSD port or package is useless on Linx.   A Linux RPM is useless
on Solaris.  And so forth for IRIX, Cygwin, HPUX, NetBSD, etc.

> from the initial install (and even creates a new conf file labeled as
> such) it is trivial to maintain on a FreeBSD system.
>
> ./configure --disable-server --disable-dccm
> make && make install

"--disable-server" isn't needed unless you are very short of disk space.
You can also just `make` instead of `make && make install`

For a system that runs dccd, uses the username "dcc" and group "dcc"
and that puts the whole DCC glob into /data/dcc instead /var/dcc, I'd use

    DCC_GRP=dcc; export DCC_GRP
    ./configure --with-uid=dcc --homedir=/data/dcc
    make install

If I'd installed with some other mechanism, I'd use this to get the
current version, fix permissions, and so forth, including making
a new updatedcc script that knows about the group and so forth:

   updatedcc -e DCC_GRP=dcc -c --with-uid=dcc -c --homedir=/data/dcc

If the DCC programs are not supposed to be in /data/dcc/libexec,
then I'd add ----libexecdir=/where/ever