high load

Fri Jun 11 16:43:24 UTC 2004

> From: "Florian Meister"

> I'm running a DCC and a spamassassin Server for a mail-traffic of =
> 300.000 - 500.000 a day.

Some DCC servers are handling more than 10,000,000 operations per day.

> The Server I'm using is a intel-box with a double-processor (xeon =
> 2,8GHz) and 2GB of RAM.

That is plenty for the DCC.  I don't know what SpamAssassin requires.

> The Problem is, the I'm getting a very high load(11 - 13), when =
> spamassassin is using DCC. The dccifd-process needs more than 40% of the =
> whole processor load.
>
> When spamassassin is using DCC, it takes around 20!! Seconds to scan a =
> mail. Without DCC it takes max. 2 seconds.
>
> Should I set up a new server for the dcc-service or do I have another =
> problem ?

I think you have another problem.  How long does dccifd take to
check a single message?
dccifd/dccif-test/dccif-test.pl or dccifd/dccif-test/dccif-test
can be fed messages much like dccproc.
Something like this might be interesting:

  time ./dccif-test.pl -I msg -r user -o header

To use the C interface dccif-test you must run `make` in the
dccifd/dccif-test directory.

However, there is one problem in the version of the DCC you are using
as indicated by the CHANGES file notice for 1.2.49:

    1.2.49
	Fix infinite loop in computing DCC clients computing checksums of
	    large, deeply nested MIME messages reported by Clive Cleland.

It might be a good idea to run /var/dcc/libexec/updatedcc