Controlling the size of the log

Lonnie Olson fungus@aros.net
Wed Jun 9 17:44:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-09 at 08:11, ContactOffice Support wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm quite new to DCC but we manage to get it work as expected.  As we are running now since a couple of days, I noticed that the /var/dcc/log is growing quite fast (around 100MB/day).
>
> I set some params (DBCLEAN_LOGDAYS=5) in the 'dcc_conf' but I feel that the params are not effective (see conf below).  I tryed to run de /var/dcc/libexec/cron-dccd without success  (could not find on the site what params to apply to either clean the log or the db). I'm must surely miss a step somewhere.
>
> How shoul I properly invoque this procedure (bdclean) ?

Correct me if I am wrong, but dbclean only cleans out the dcc_db.  That
database is used only if you are running your own DCC server which you
are not.  See "DCCD_ENABLE=off"

> Is there someone having the experience as mine and any advice on how to proceed to get this log file under control ?
>
> Can I get get rid of the logging ? Is ther a param I can add to avoid logging ?

I think you can adjust how much dccifd logs.

> Arnaud Huret
> ContactOffice

<snip>

> DCCD_ENABLE=off
> # DCC server-IDs must be globally unique.
> SRVR_ID=
> # BRAND can be any short alphanumeric string that hints about the identity
> #   of the server.
> BRAND=
> # used to start dccd
> # A value for `dccd -t` computed from DCCM_REJECT_AT is assumed to set
> #   default flooding threshold.
> DCCD_ARGS=

<snip>

> DCCM_ENABLE=off
> # used to start dccm
> #   a common value is
> #   DCCM_ARGS="-SHELO -Smail_host -SSender -SList-ID"
> DCCM_ARGS=
> DCCM_LOGDIR=log
> DCCM_WHITECLNT=whiteclnt
> DCCM_USERDIRS=userdirs
> # set DCCM_LOG_AT to a number that determines "bulk mail" for your situation.
> #   50 is a typical value.
> # Leave DCCM_REJECT_AT blank until you are confident that most sourced of
> #   solicited bulk mail have been white-listed.  Then set it to the number
> #   that defines "bulk mail" for your site.  Note that this rejection
> #   or "bulk" threshold does not affect the blacklisting effects of the
> #   DCCM_WHITECLNT white list file.
> # Add '-aIGNORE' to DCCM_ARGS to ignore the bulkiness of mail except to
> #   add X-DCC headers.
> DCCM_LOG_AT=5

This setting "DCCM_LOG_AT=5" looks like a good place to start
investigating.  The comment right above it says that 50 is a typical
value, not 5.

> DCCM_REJECT_AT=
> # override basic list of DCC server checksums controlling rejections or logging
> DCCM_CKSUMS=
> # additional DCC server checksums worthy of rejections or logging
> DCCM_XTRA_CKSUMS=
>
> # changed by AH from 'off' to 'on'
>
> DCCIFD_ENABLE=on
>
> # used to start dccifd
> #   a common value is
> #   DCCIFD_ARGS="-SHELO -Smail_host -SSender -SList-ID"
> DCCIFD_ARGS=
> DCCIFD_LOGDIR="$DCCM_LOGDIR"
> #DCCIFD_WHITECLNT="$DCCM_WHITECLNT"
> #DCCIFD_USERDIRS="$DCCM_USERDIRS"
> DCCIFD_LOG_AT="$DCCM_LOG_AT"

You might be saying, but I don't use dccm, but right here it seems that
dccifd is set to the same setting dccm is.  I would probably just change
the DCCM_LOG_AT to the recommended 50.  I don't know exactly what this
number controls, but it sounds like a good start.

> DCCIFD_REJECT_AT="$DCCM_REJECT_AT"
> # override basic list of checksums controlling rejections or logging
> DCCIFD_CKSUMS="$DCCM_CKSUMS"
> # additional DCC server checksums worthy of rejections or logging
> DCCIFD_XTRA_CKSUMS="$DCCM_XTRA_CKSUMS"
>
> # days to keep files in DCC log directories
> DBCLEAN_LOGDAYS=5
> # used to start dbclean, including -e and -E
> DBCLEAN_ARGS=

<snip>