Controlling the size of the log

ContactOffice Support support@contactoffice.net
Wed Jun 9 14:11:44 UTC 2004

Dear all,

I'm quite new to DCC but we manage to get it work as expected.  As we are running now since a couple of days, I noticed that the /var/dcc/log is growing quite fast (around 100MB/day).

I set some params (DBCLEAN_LOGDAYS=5) in the 'dcc_conf' but I feel that the params are not effective (see conf below).  I tryed to run de /var/dcc/libexec/cron-dccd without success  (could not find on the site what params to apply to either clean the log or the db). I'm must surely miss a step somewhere.

How shoul I properly invoque this procedure (bdclean) ?

Is there someone having the experience as mine and any advice on how to proceed to get this log file under control ?

Can I get get rid of the logging ? Is ther a param I can add to avoid logging ?

Arnaud Huret
ContactOffice

Envir :

Linux 8.0 RedHat
DCC 1.2.47-1.38
Called by SpamAssassin version 2.63
Using only de dccifd (no DCC server)
ps command says : 32369 ?        S      0:01 /var/dcc/libexec/dccifd -l log -t CMN,5,

dcc_conf :

#! /bin/sh

# set parameters for DCC start and cron scripts

# from Rhyolite Software DCC 1.2.47-1.38 $Revision$
DCC_CONF_VERSION=3

# don't set DCC_HOMEDIR since if we got here, it must be set
DCC_LIBEXEC=/var/dcc/libexec
DCC_RUNDIR=/var/run/dcc

# DCC user name
DCCUID=root

DCCD_ENABLE=off
# DCC server-IDs must be globally unique.
SRVR_ID=
# BRAND can be any short alphanumeric string that hints about the identity
#   of the server.
BRAND=
# used to start dccd
# A value for `dccd -t` computed from DCCM_REJECT_AT is assumed to set
#   default flooding threshold.
DCCD_ARGS=

# Client greylist parameters such as 'on' or 'noIP'
#   GREY_CLIENT_ARGS sets `dccm -G` and `dccifd -G` value
#   and turns on the local greylist server unless GREY_ENABLE=off
GREY_CLIENT_ARGS=
#   turns local greylist server 'on' or 'off', but does not effect dccm, dccifd
GREY_ENABLE=

# GREY_SRVR_ID DCC server-IDs must be globally unique, but greylisting dccd
#   servers are usually isolated.  If you have more than one greylist server,
#   ensure that they use distinct server-IDs and that they flood each other
#   with entries in /var/dcc/flod
GREY_SRVR_ID=$SRVR_ID
# used to start dccd for grey listing; see also GREY_ENABLE
GREY_DCCD_ARGS=

DCCM_ENABLE=off
# used to start dccm
#   a common value is
#   DCCM_ARGS="-SHELO -Smail_host -SSender -SList-ID"
DCCM_ARGS=
DCCM_LOGDIR=log
DCCM_WHITECLNT=whiteclnt
DCCM_USERDIRS=userdirs
# set DCCM_LOG_AT to a number that determines "bulk mail" for your situation.
#   50 is a typical value.
# Leave DCCM_REJECT_AT blank until you are confident that most sourced of
#   solicited bulk mail have been white-listed.  Then set it to the number
#   that defines "bulk mail" for your site.  Note that this rejection
#   or "bulk" threshold does not affect the blacklisting effects of the
#   DCCM_WHITECLNT white list file.
# Add '-aIGNORE' to DCCM_ARGS to ignore the bulkiness of mail except to
#   add X-DCC headers.
DCCM_LOG_AT=5
DCCM_REJECT_AT=
# override basic list of DCC server checksums controlling rejections or logging
DCCM_CKSUMS=
# additional DCC server checksums worthy of rejections or logging
DCCM_XTRA_CKSUMS=

# changed by AH from 'off' to 'on'

DCCIFD_ENABLE=on

# used to start dccifd
#   a common value is
#   DCCIFD_ARGS="-SHELO -Smail_host -SSender -SList-ID"
DCCIFD_ARGS=
DCCIFD_LOGDIR="$DCCM_LOGDIR"
#DCCIFD_WHITECLNT="$DCCM_WHITECLNT"
#DCCIFD_USERDIRS="$DCCM_USERDIRS"
DCCIFD_LOG_AT="$DCCM_LOG_AT"
DCCIFD_REJECT_AT="$DCCM_REJECT_AT"
# override basic list of checksums controlling rejections or logging
DCCIFD_CKSUMS="$DCCM_CKSUMS"
# additional DCC server checksums worthy of rejections or logging
DCCIFD_XTRA_CKSUMS="$DCCM_XTRA_CKSUMS"

# days to keep files in DCC log directories
DBCLEAN_LOGDAYS=5
# used to start dbclean, including -e and -E
DBCLEAN_ARGS=

# optionally set to something like "local5" or "local5.notice" for
#   dccd, dbclean, and dccm
DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY=
DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY=

# ensure that the log facilities include levels and that $DCC_LOGGER
#   has a default.
if test ! -z "$DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY"; then
    if expr "X$DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY" : 'X.*\..*' >/dev/null; then
        :
    else
        DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY="$DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY.notice"
    fi
    DCC_LOG_ARGS="$DCC_LOG_ARGS -Linfo,$DCC_INFO_LOG_FACILITY"
fi
if test -z "$DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY"; then
    # for $DCC_LOGGER
    DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY=mail.err
else
    if expr "X$DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY" : 'X.*\..*' >/dev/null; then
        :
    else
        DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY="$DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY.err"
    fi
    DCC_LOG_ARGS="$DCC_LOG_ARGS -Lerror,$DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY"
fi
DCC_LOGGER="logger -s -p ${DCC_ERROR_LOG_FACILITY-mail.err} -t DCC"