Milter broken pipe on write

Pim van Pelt pim@bit.nl
Mon May 24 13:48:37 UTC 2004

Hi,

| > This is FreeBSD crow.bit.nl 4.9-RELEASE-p3.
|
| Judging from sendmail/milter.c, the 'Q' is the command that sendmail
| is sending to the milter process.
|
| That sendmail is saying "Milter (dcc-milter)" instead of "Milter (dcc)"
| implies that you changed the prototype ofthe FEATURE file in misc/dcc.m4.in
I didn't change the feature in the prototype, rather I have overridden them
in the FILTER options in the .mc file:

INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`bit-milter', `S=unix:/var/run/milter/bit-milter.sock,
		F=T, T=S:600s;R:600s;E:5m')dnl

| Did you change Milter.macros lines?
No.

I'm particularly interrested why you would choose to tempfail a mail
when the milter is down. I would rather accept the mail (F=) than
tempfail it. I took the same timeout settings as I already had for
another milter I wrote.

I'm thinking it may have to do with my clumsy approach on saving mails.
I had 40K mails already in a directory and I'm dead sure dccm did not
write mails very fast after that point, due to ffs' poor performance
with large directories, no softdeps turned on, and no dirhashing turned
on. I turned off logging and the error went away actually. I was
probably hitting timeouts.

groet,
	Pim

--