Simple Questions: "many" and locally-added header lines

Jim Seymour jseymour@LinxNet.com
Sat May 8 00:05:05 UTC 2004

Vernon Schryver <vjs@calcite.rhyolite.com> wrote:

> > From: (Jim Seymour)
>

> > I'm playing with storing certain bits of spam in a database.  I thought
> > DCC's "Body," "Fuz1," and "Fuz2" values might be interesting.  Ideally,
> > these would be stored as ints, but what to do with "many?"  What integer
> > value (and above) results in "many?"  (I would *swear* I saw this
> > addressed somewhere, but I'll be dammed if I can find it now.)
>
> include/dcc_proto.h contains the special values including "many"
> and implicitly defines the limits.
> srvr/db.h shows how the values are stored in the DCC server database.

Found them.  Thanks.

> Note that all of those values are subject to change, given a rolling
> of protocol or database version numbers.
[snip]

In the end: It almost doesn't matter what I use for an integer value to
indicate "many," as long as it's really, really big.  Bigger than any
enumerated integer value I'm likely to see in any of "body," "Fuz1," or
"Fuz2."  That number that currently represents "many" is pretty big.
Were it to change, I could always do a mass row update.

Another question just occurred to me.  A bit of background: I'll be
operating some relatively low-volume spamtraps.  All of them will
end-up coming to the same point, here, get fed into my parsing code,
and bits will go into the database.  The procmail recipe these well be
coming to could as easily pipe the spams through dccproc, as my normal
email does.  Would the additional checksum information thus-provided to
the DCC servers' databases be useful?  Or would this just be extra load
y'all don't need nor want?  It'll nearly all be guaranteed spam--either
from seeded, but never used, email addresses, email addresses used in
repeated dictionary attacks, once-valid email addresses that have been
5xx'ing for three years or better and have been re-cycled into
spamtraps, etc.

Jim