Small Patch

Martin Helas mhelas@helas.net
Wed Apr 14 15:18:03 UTC 2004

Brian T Glenn wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 09:08:54PM -0600, Vernon Schryver may have written:
> >
> > Your changes to the Makefiles are not enormous, but neither are they
> > small.  Before I could include them I would need to spend time testing
> > them to ensure that they are necessary and sufficient.  For example,
> > it seems odd to install the man pages in the chroot filesystem.  Then
> > there are the `cdcc` and `chown` commands in homedire/Makefile that
> > don't seem to be working with your $(DESTDIR).
> > Since the only Linux system I've access to is an old Redhat 5.1
> > test drive and since I've no experience building RPMs, my testing
> > an RPM would not be a trivial effort.
> >
> > How do you intend to use chroot()?
>
> I think what he said was a bit of a misnomer. When Debian creates binary
> packages, everything that will be installed on the system is copied into
> a fake root filesystem under the build tree. For example, if you build
> in your homedir, it might look like this:
>
> /home/user/deb/dcc-1.2.39/tmp/
>
> Then under this directory you would have /var/dcc and the make install
> puts everything inside there as opposed to installing it on the  host
> system. The standard for Debian (and also the GNU guidelines from
> autoconf, i just know how you love those Vernon :)) is to use $DESTDIR
> from the configure script in order to modify this path.
>
> I hope that clear it up a little,
Hi Vernon, hi Brian,

what Brian discribes is exactly what i wanted to say. For debian
packaging you need to put every file to be installed in some kind of
fake root filesystem. With the structure in the Makefile Vernon wrote, this
is mostly impossible. The method i do debian-packaging now , which i think
is not very clever, is to skip "make install" and put everything what "make
install" should do into the debian/rules file (similar to rpm-specfile).
As soon as Vernon changes something within this part, i have to adopt
this into the debian/rules file.
I could do that, but it makes packaging not so easy. I think. rewriting
the dcc-makefile only once for DESTDIR-support is much less effort.

Martin

--
  Regards,                | Debian GNU / /     _  _  _  _  _ __  __