OT: Re: Greylisting & InterMail MTA?

Tue Mar 30 16:44:51 UTC 2004

> From: John Sutton

> - is running an MTA which is some 5 years old and pre-dates RFC 2821!  There
> must be a business lesson in there somewhere...

Yes, but RFC 2821 did not significantly (or at all, as far as I know)
change the proper response to a 4yz.  That has been "try again later"
since RFC 821, published in August, 1982.   If someone asked me, I'd
say that discovering that the released version of an MTA I'd paid good
money for does not handle 4yz responses correctly is a compelling reason
to not buy an update or anything else ever from the vendor.  I'd also
seriously consider suggesting whoever performed the acceptance tests
and authorized payment for the junk be given a more appropriate assignment.

The reason there is so much malware floating around is that purchasers
do not accept their responsibilities to perform due diligence.