Greylist trouble with btinternet.com

John Sutton john@scl.co.uk
Sun Mar 28 11:01:43 UTC 2004

On Sunday 28 March 2004  2:10 am, Vernon Schryver wrote:
> > From: Gary Mills

> > Each server uses a different helo string.  I've had to add a
> > `mail_host btopenworld.com' entry to our greylist whitelist to allow
> > their e-mail past DCC greylisting.
>
> It would be interesting to see how much spam would leak
> while using dccm -G noIP or  -G IPmask/xx to deal with those cases.

It was my experience with BT which prompted me to suggest the ipmask argument
for the -G flag ;-)  I use this in the greylist:

ok ip 194.73.73.0/24

to deal with BT.  In addition to a cluster of hosts sharing a single mail
queue (effectively), it can take up to *3 days* before a retry is even
attempted and you are very lucky if that comes from the same server.
Sometimes the mail gets bounced (>5days) before a second retry is even
attempted...

I'll be trying the -G IPmask/xx just as soon as I've got a whitelisting web
interface up for the users.  I daren't inflict a new (empty) grey_db on them
until I've done that!  Unfortunately, because the *first* retry with BT can
take 3 days, and a lot of my customers' mail comes through BT, I'll have to
stick with the greylist entry above even after I start with -G ipmask.

BTW, your suggestion (Vernon) of alternatively using -G noIP sent me
scurrying to the man page in a state of confusion!  If you are serious about
that then I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick, so *please* explain it
(or retract it ;-)

PS.  Loved your rant about the evil monopolist.  Glad to hear that he elicits
such loathing on your side of the pond as well ;-)

John Sutton
SCL Internet
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/
Tel. +44 (0) 1239 711 888