Greylist trouble with btinternet.com

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Sat Mar 27 21:39:19 UTC 2004

I had a complaint the other day from a btinternet.com customer who
was unable to send e-mail to people here.  Our logs revealed that
Btinternet made one attempt that was rejected by the DCC greylist,
and made a second attempt seven hours later.  The second attempt
was also rejected because it came from a different IP address.
Btinternet appears to use a whole series of outgoing e-mail servers,
named after chemical elements.  By using a different outgoing server
for each retry, and retrying at long intervals, or perhaps only twice,
DCC greylisting will never let them through.

Each server uses a different helo string.  I've had to add a
`mail_host btopenworld.com' entry to our greylist whitelist to allow
their e-mail past DCC greylisting.