Zmailer MTA breaks with DCC greylisting

Gary Mills mills@cc.UManitoba.CA
Wed Mar 24 04:09:15 UTC 2004

We had a complaint recently from a small university that was running
the Zmailer MTA.  At this end, e-mail from them was rejected by DCC
greylisting with a temporary delivery failure code.  There was no
sign of delivery re-tries.  At their end, the e-mail just disappeared,
without even a non-delivery report.

Adding their mail server to our greylist whitelist allowed the e-mail
to get through.  Apparently, Zmailer was treating the temporary delivery
failure as a successful delivery!  I don't know what version they are
running, but they are planning to upgrade to the latest version, in the
hope that that will fix the problem.