Greylisting & InterMail MTA?

John Sutton john@scl.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 17:16:33 UTC 2004

Hi there

Here in the UK we have an ISP called NTL (or NTLI, I'm never quite sure).
They are running these 8 SMTP clients:

mta1-svc.business.ntl.com
mta2-svc.business.ntl.com
mta3-svc.business.ntl.com
mta4-svc.business.ntl.com
mta5-svc.business.ntl.com
mta6-svc.business.ntl.com
mta7-svc.business.ntl.com
mta8-svc.business.ntl.com

which exhibit the following wonderful behaviour.  On receipt of a 452 at the
end of the DATA transfer, they seem to treat that as a 250 - the message is
never resubmitted nor does the sender receive a non-delivery DSN.  Good, huh?

Their SMTP server announces itself as:

InterMail vM.4.01.03.37 201-229-121-137-20020806

and presumably this is the same vendor's code which is making such a hash of
the client end.  Of course, I've grey_whitelisted the 8 ip's and have written
to NTL (no response) but I would also like to write to Intermail but I can't
track them down.

Anybody know anything about it/them?

John Sutton
SCL Internet