RR.COM abusers

Tue Mar 9 14:58:00 UTC 2004

> From: Gary Mills

> Can you fake some logs in the format that they want?

So I should lie and commit forgery to trick them into considering
fixing what I suspect is one of their own systems?  Besides, I don't
know how to forge believable GFW (goober with firewall) logs because
I've never run ZoneAlarm or other snakeoil "personal firewalls."

Also in this morning's mail was a request for a server-ID.  It
did not quite meet the publish requirements for local DCC server
(more than 100K mail msgs/day), but I figured that after grinding
my teeth about RR.COM, I should be consciously generous.  So
I allocated a server-ID, did the initial configuration of a test
flooding, and sent the usual short blurb containing the ID and
instructions.   It bounced with a 5yz telling me that my system
is an open relay.  So I tried postmaster and a the only two addresses
I found on their web pages.  That also bounced.   Which all goes
to validate the major, unstated reason for the 100K msgs/day
requirement.  At this late date, smaller organizations generally
lack the experience, interest, skills, etc. to run a DCC server.

I guess RR.COM demonstrates that larger organizations lack the
experience, interest, skills, etc. to run even a DCC client.