ok2 env_to possible?

Mon Mar 8 21:17:20 UTC 2004

> From: John Sutton <john@scl.co.uk>

> > env_to whitelist entries control whether DCC checking is applied at all.
> > It was clearly a mistake to use "ok2", but compatibility concerns make
> > it impossible to fix.
>
> Are you sure?  (I really need this to work ;-)

I meant that it occurred to me that having "oks env_to" generate errors
would break too many existing installations.  It would be better to
use some other string to generate the same value as "ok2."

>                                                 As I read it, at present we
> have for "ok2 env_to":
>
> with -W : special meaning (kludge)
> w/o -W: no meaning i.e. completely ignored
>
> so would it not be possible to move to:
>
> with -W : special meaning (kludge)
> w/o -W: "proper" meaning
>
> without breaking any existing installations (excepting those which have
> currently meaningless "ok2 env_to" rules in place)?

That would require substantial changes in the code.
Currently env_to checksums are not looked at anything except the
code that decides whether the mailbox is playing the DCC game.
Having the 'proper' meaning would require passing env_to checksums
to other places that compare thresholds and so forth.

Since most people view the 'proper' meaning of OK2 as a bigger kludge
than the -W business, that doesn't seem very profitable.

For your situation, why not use "ok env_to" to opt that mailbox
out of the DCC game entirely?