ok2 env_to possible?

John Sutton john@scl.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 20:44:03 UTC 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004  6:53 pm, you wrote:
> > No, that would be an "ok2 env_from" but I have got an "ok2 env_to" and
>
> OH!  I'm wrong because I "saw" the "env_to" as "env_from"
> "ok2 env_to" will not work as intended.  See the discussion in the -W part
> of the dccm man page.

Trying to get to grips with that!  Would this sentence:

Target addresses listed with "OK2" in the whiteclnt file are treated
neutrally or as if they were not listed and the -W option were not
specified.

be better rewritten as:

Target addresses listed with "OK2" in the whiteclnt file are treated
neutrally, i.e., as if they were not listed and the -W option were not
specified.

> env_to whitelist entries control whether DCC checking is applied at all.
> It was clearly a mistake to use "ok2", but compatibility concerns make
> it impossible to fix.

Are you sure?  (I really need this to work ;-)  As I read it, at present we
have for "ok2 env_to":

with -W : special meaning (kludge)
w/o -W: no meaning i.e. completely ignored

so would it not be possible to move to:

with -W : special meaning (kludge)
w/o -W: "proper" meaning

without breaking any existing installations (excepting those which have
currently meaningless "ok2 env_to" rules in place)?

John Sutton
SCL Internet
URL http://www.scl.co.uk/
Tel. +44 (0) 1239 711 888