What is the right DCC database expiration?

Krzysztof Snopek ksnopek@ely.pg.gda.pl
Fri Mar 5 07:55:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Vernon Schryver wrote:

> What is the right default DCC database expiration?  There are two
> values.  The first is currently 2 days and is how long a DCC server
> keeps reports of checksums of non-bulk mail.  If during that time
> enough additional reports of the same checksums are received to
> reach the "bulk" threshold, the report is kept for 30 days.

> I'm wondering if perhaps 7 days and 1 day would be enough with the

I'm not sure what you mean; now it is 2 days and 30 days and you
propose change to 7 days and 1 day? or 1 day and 7 days ?

> How many spammers are very slow?

Hard to say for someone who's happy that DCC does its excellent work
properly and who's not analyzing too much. Why not try some tests?
Which of those two values has bigger impact on database size? If the
second one (30 days currently), as I suspect, we could change to
2  and 7 days and see what will happen -try another pair depending on
result and so on.
Anyway, some changes should be done. Dbclean on dcc1.ely.pg.gda.pl
runs almost 2 hours now comparing with some 0.5 hr two months ago
(and it's rather fast machine )
Let's try !

                    Krzysztof Snopek