Suddenly "too many simultaneous mail messages"

Spike Ilacqua spike@indra.com
Wed Feb 25 01:23:03 UTC 2004

> The evil in select() is scanning those arrays in the kernel looking
> for bits that are set.

Yeah, that is more of what I was thinking was the problem then actually
moving the bits around.

> My first guess is that some spammers are hanging up the phone instead
> of sending a proper TCP FIN.

> My second guess is that you're being hit by one of the spammers that
> is too stupid to spread its load among its targets and starts zillions
> of connections to individual targets.

I'd guess it's a combination of the two, at any given moment there are
about 200 STMP connections.  Guess I'll twiddle some sendmail timeouts.

->Spike